02 Nov USTA Montana seeks executive director
The Montana Tennis Association (USTA Intermountain Montana) seeks a highly motivated, energetic, knowledgeable individual to serve as the non-profit organization’s full-time executive director (ED).
The mission of the Montana Tennis Association is to promote and grow the game of tennis in Montana. The ED represents tennis throughout Montana. The ED hires and supervises seasonal staff, oversees all programs, and reports to the Board of Directors. This is a work-from-home position. The salary range is $45,000-$55,000. USTA Montana does not offer health insurance benefits.
The tentative start date for this position is March 1, 2022. Applications must be submitted by December 10, 2021.
All candidates must submit their applications and any supporting documentation electronically via this online application form. Mailed applications will not be considered.
For additional information, please email MontanaTennisED@gmail.com.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Oversees the implementation of all USTA programs in Montana, including adult leagues, social and flex leagues, junior team tennis, school tennis, and sanctioning tournaments.
- Hires and manages the District League Coordinator and other seasonal employees.
- Builds positive relationships and support throughout Montana with public and private tennis facilities, teaching professionals, community tennis associations (CTAs), Parks & Recreation programs, schools, and players.
- Builds, trains, and maintains an active base of independent contractors and volunteers who deliver after-school and youth tennis classes.
- Serves as the point of contact for tournament directors who run USTA-sanctioned tournaments.
- Monitors volunteer and staff interactions to ensure excellent customer service.
- Conducts the financial management of the association in order to assure a balanced budget and the investment of reserves.
- Performs general bookkeeping functions such as paying bills, performing payroll, making deposits, tracking expenses, and preparing financial reports.
- Secures program sponsorships and other fundraising as needed.
- Plans quarterly meetings and reports on activities and yearly progress to the USTA Montana President and Board of Directors.
- Acts as the liaison between USTA Montana and its parent organizations, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) and USTA Intermountain (ITA).
- Represents USTA Montana at sectional and national meetings, workshops, and events.
The ED may live anywhere in Montana. He or she must be able to travel regularly within Montana, and as needed to ITA and USTA meetings.
- USTA Montana Board of Directors in-person or Zoom meetings.
- Annual meeting (October)
- Quarterly board meetings (Zoom or conference call)
- Board retreat (every other year)
- ITA meetings and trainings as required
- U.S. Open (September 2022) at least every other year
- In-state travel on behalf of USTA Montana
- Must be able to work some weekends
- USTA Montana events around Montana
- Trainings and workshops
- Fundraising events
- Bachelor’s degree or 5 years relevant recent work experience
- Knowledge of tennis
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness and ability to represent USTA Montana in the community
- Ability to work well with staff and volunteers
- Self-motivation and strong initiative to create and expand the role
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficient computer skills (TennisLink, Serve Tennis, Gmail, Google Drive, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with social media (WordPress, Instagram, Facebook, Constant Contact)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Demonstrates deep passion for and loyalty to the sport of tennis.
- Is familiar with non-profit organization and governance.
- Is familiar with Montana tennis and the unique characteristics and challenges of USTA Montana leagues and tournaments.
- Knows how to prioritize responsibilities, manage time, respond to inquiries, prepare written material, organize meetings, and assume a leadership role during meetings.
- Has experience hiring and supervising staff or volunteers.
- Has experience preparing budgets and financial statements. Experience with QuickBooks, accounting, and payroll practices preferred.
- Has knowledge of and experience in fundraising.
USTA Intermountain Montana is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including but not limited to hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and training.